SOSUCAMSociété Sucrière du Cameroun
SOSUCAM (Société Sucrière du Cameroun) grows 46,207 acres of sugar cane plantations located on two sugar manufacturing sites, namely M’Bandjock and N’Koteng.
SOSUCAM produces 130,000 tons of sugar canes every year in compliance with the quality requirements of the ISO 9001 certification, version 2000, which was received in 2009 and is renewed every two years.
SOSUCAM was created in 1965 and is now owned by the SOMDIAA Group, a French company, which holds 72.72% of its stock. Its remaining capital is distributed among the Cameroonese Government and Cameroonese private shareholders including SOSUCAM employees. Its corporate headquarters are located in Yaoundé.
Both sugar manufacturing plants are located in the Department of Haute-Sanaga, 62 miles north of Yaoundé.
With 1.08 million tons of sugar canes ground in both plants SOSUCAM produces about 105,000 tons of sugar every year, including 17,000 tons as lump sugar.
It sells about 100,000 tons on the Cameroonese market and supplies Chad with extra-refined sugar, which is used in breweries.
- Granulated sugar (golden and refined sugar), lump sugar and specialty sugar (wrapped sugar lumps and sugar sticks) production
- Distribution to industrial customers, the wholesaler network and the CHR (Cafés, Hotels & Restaurants) segment
The SOSUCAM sugar brand
SOSUCAM markets its sugar products under the brand name Princesse Tatie. This mass-produced sugar is put in special packages tailored to the needs of Cameroonese consumers.
In order to better meet the growing needs of the Cameroonese market SOSUCAM has developed additional areas and enhanced its output capacities.
As a result, as early as 2017, the N’Koteng plant will be able to grind 225 tons of sugar canes per hour in order to produce, with the M’Bandjock plant, 165,000 tons of sugar canes per harvest over the entire SOSUCAM land (61,774 acres).
Tracking and resistivity
SOSUCAM applies several modern farming technologies :
- GPS self-guidance for farming machines to help optimize farming machine passes, including during soil preparation.
- Soil resistivity measures have made it possible to determine the accurate specifications of cultivated areas so as to apply soil dressing and fertilizer treatments on a need-only basis.
Telemedicine services have been set up to make special healthcare services available to company employees and neighboring populations for lower costs. As a result, cardiology consultations and tests are remotely conducted from the SOSUCAM social and medical centers. The Group selected the N’Koteng site in Cameroun to launch its pilot project in partnership with GENESIS TELECARE, a Cameroonese company specialized in that area. The N’Koteng Telemedicine Center opened in February 18, 2010.
SOSUCAM already obtained three certifications :
- ISO 9001, V2000: issued in 2008 by Bureau Veritas Certification France for its compliant quality management system.
- NC 11: issued in 2001 by the Cameroonese Government following the audit run by an independent company. It confirms SOSUCAM’s ability to produce sugar in accordance with international standards.
- Environmental compliance certificate: also issued by Government authorities following an audit. It shows SOSUCAM’s commitment to operate all the while preserving natural resources, and its concern towards protecting the living environment of employees and local populations.
SOSUCAM aims at obtaining the ISO 14001 and OSHAS 18001 certifications by 2015.
Cameroonese law corporation set up in 1964, located in Yaoundé, with a capital of CFA13,925,000,000 (EUR21,228,526)
Corporate headquarters : BP 857 – Yaoundé – Cameroon